Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Who and How

I was thinking today about how sometimes people will ask themselves the question: "Who am I?" Or perhaps they may say it the form a statement: "I don't know who I am." I was always puzzled by this question because I never understood how someone could even ask this question in the first place. 


 

However, a while ago I caught myself asking this very question! It only took me a couple of days to answer this question, but there was something about the answer that didn't quite satisfy the question I thought. I think the reason the answer didn't satisfy was that I was asking the wrong question to begin with! I think when we ask ourselves who we are what we are looking for is an identity. To me an identity is a purpose or reason for living; its a way that you are supposed to live, though may not always live. However, I wasn't looking for an identity in this case. 


It took me a while to figure it out, but what I was really asking myself was, "How am I?" You see what I really wanted to know was how I was made and how all the processes in my brain work together, not my identity or reason for being.


I think it is important to answer both of these questions, but I think first you need to answer the identity question. This has to be answered first I think because without an identity you won't know how to use yourself to live out that identity. Many of you reading this know my beliefs and that I don't think that you will find your true identity outside the person on Jesus Christ, but if you wish to disagree go ahead, just know that I still stand by that statement.


Once you have answered the identity question then I think that you can move on to answering the  how question. If you move onto answering the how question without answering the who question then you will end up answering the who question with the how answer, meaning you will come to see yourself as a bunch of processes rather than as a being who has a purpose. This will ultimately leave you unsatisfied also.


The processes in your brain were designed to be ruled and directed by something; that something is your identity. Without an identity I would equate you with being no better than a beast.


Hopefully that all makes sense, if not let me know and I'll see if I can explain it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment