Sunday, January 16, 2011

Being Sought and Seeking

Last night after church I was talking to a friend and during the course of our conversation the topic of relationships came up, specifically friendships during the teenage years. As we discussed this a bit they made the comment that thing about it was that everyone wants the same thing, to be sought. As soon as they said that I realized that it was such a profound and true statement of kids during those years. As I thought about it more though I realized that it was also quite true of adults. 


As I thought about it more I asked myself why it was that we even desire to be sought in the first place; what is it that is driving us to be sought after by others?


 


I believe that it is because deep down we all want to know that someone out there treasures and values us. I think that is what someone seeking us out causes us to think; that we are valuable and treasured.


As I continued to think I asked myself if it really mattered whether we are sought, or if we can accomplish the same thing by doing the seeking.


I believe that we can achieve the thing we are looking for by being sought by doing the seeking. Because what we are looking for is to be loved and valued and treasured by someone, not to be sought. So in accomplishing this, whoever is the first to initiate the relationship is irrelevant because deep down we don't really care who initiates it; what we care about is whether or not the person loves us.


Now the question I'm stuck asking myself is if it doesn't matter who initiates the relationship, why don't I seek people out more often? I can make the question quite complicated if I want to, but in the end I can't come up with a good reason why I don't do more seeking of people. 


There is certainly a spiritual dimension to this as well. I am sure at some point I will touch on that side of this topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment