Monday, June 11, 2012

Blithe Hope: You're Already Dead

My brother got me the Band of Brothers and The Pacific series for Christmas. I've finally had time to start watching and have been working my way through Band of Brothers over the past few days. In one of the episodes there is a private named Blithe who survived the D-Day drop by hiding in a ditch. Later in the episode one of the officers, Lt. Spiers, is talking to him about his actions. During the conversation Spiers told this to the private: "You crawled into that ditch because you think there's still hope, but the only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it." 


Now my first reaction to this was: "WOW! What a heartless and uncaring thing to say to a soldier who is obviously scared. He just landed in Normandy and survived the D-Day drop and has months of fighting ahead of him and you've basically just told him that he's going to die. What a way to boost his confidence!

However, today I realized that this was probably the best advice that he could have given Pvt. Blithe in this situation. See Pvt. Blithe had a duty to perform as a soldier, but he was afraid to perform that duty because it might cost him his life. What Blithe failed to realize, and what Lt. Spiers was trying to remind Blithe of, was that he was, in fact, already dead. Spiers was not saying that Blithe was going to be killed during the advance to Berlin, but that by virtue of simply being a live human being he was destined to die at some point, if not during the war then some time later.

Blithe was part of something bigger than himself. It was not important that he live, but that the Allied Forces accomplish their objective. By trying to give himself hope of surviving Blithe was limiting his contribution to the war effort, and perhaps harming it. Once Blithe realizes that there is no way to overcome his own mortality he jumps into the fighting, contributing to the cause that he signed up to further.

The internal struggle that Blithe experienced is a good and necessary one for us to experience in our own lives as well. However, in order to experience this struggle we must first recognize ourselves in a cause that is greater than ourselves and I think that many people today fail to recognize themselves in such a cause. Once we do recognize ourselves in such a cause though eventually we will come face to face with what the cause will cost us. Even though we might have known intellectually what the cause might cost us before we signed up, we will not truly realize the cost until we come face to face with it (the cost).  

Pvt. Blithe undoubtedly knew that he could lose his life fighting in WWII, but it wasn't until he saw the death and destruction that took place on D-Day that he fully realized this. Eventually he realized that he would one day die anyway and the only way he was going to survive WWII was if he did his duty as a soldier; he would not survive by hiding. Once he realized this he overcame his fear and contributed to the Allied campaign in Europe.

"You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you... I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle."   - General Dwight D. Eisenhower
The "Great Crusade" that I've signed up for is the furthering of the Gospel, that Jesus is the only way to God. Intellectually I know what taking up this cause could cost me, but I do not believe that I have come face to face with the cost. But one day I believe I will, and, hopefully, accept the cost. 

Perhaps though you disagree with the message of Christianity for some reason. If so then fine, but let me encourage you to find a cause that is greater than yourself to give yourself to. And when the day comes when you come face to face with the true cost of furthering this cause let me encourage you to accept it.

Regardless of your "Great Crusade" you are already dead. The sooner you accept this, the sooner you can perform your duty. Your cause depends on it. 

Don't think there is a cause greater than yourself? Or that it isn't worth giving yourself to a cause greater than yourself is there is one? Well, I'm planning a follow-up post on that exact topic, so stay tuned.



1 comment:

  1. Wow! Wow! I love it. I too was mad when Spiers said that but I love how it hit you spiritually. You are so right and so often I am cowering in the ditch instead of fighting. I have got to get Jo to read this. I think it will speak to her heart too. I love the pic & quote you inclosed. Very good article.

    ReplyDelete